Combatting Poverty through Employment Training
Partnership with Bissell Centre, Edmonton
The CLAC Foundation has partnered with Bissell Centre in Edmonton to provide training to individuals whose employment prospects will be enhanced by taking skills and safety courses through CLAC Training. These individuals have the training booked on their behalf, have access to transportation to the courses, and receive lunch on the training days.
About Bissell Centre, Edmonton
Bissell Centre is committed to empowering families and individuals to escape poverty. The centre serves marginalized Edmontonians, including Indigenous individuals, newcomers,and people with disabilities. Bissell “recognizes the value and dignity of all people, including their values, rights, beliefs and property.” Everything Bissell Centre does is grounded inits vision of eliminating poverty. Its mission is to work with communities to empower people to move from poverty to cultural, social, and economic prosperity.
Bissell Centre believes a community without poverty means:
- Families and individuals have sustainable livelihoods, secure housing, and can meet their basic daily needs.
- Families and individuals are fully engaged in their community because of strong support networks, a sense of safety, and improved physical and mental health.
- Families and individuals have hope for the future.
- Individuals have access to the resources and opportunities they need to reach their full potential and participate equally within in the community.
- Diversity is celebrated in a spirit of mutual respect and dignity.